Troop 353’s High Adventure Trek took place in the Adirondack Mountains in upstate New York. The week-long trip started and ended at Summit Base Camp, located within the Camp Read Scout Reservation in Brant Lake, N.Y. The High Adventure 5 Day Trek included a 2 ½ Day Backpacking and Hiking Trek and a 2 ½ Day Canoeing Trek in the Adirondack mountains covering over 44 miles.
What: High Adventure Trek out of Summit Base at Camp Read, Brant Lake, N.Y.
Where: High Peaks Backpacking (Mount Marcy) / Long Lake to Raquette River
When: Sunday, July 3rd – Saturday, July 10th
Who: Marcus, William DeKnatel (Adult), David, James, Gabriel, Alex, and Brian
- Backpacking with a full backpacks weighing between 35-55 lbs.
- Hiking straight up Lower Wolf Jaw Mountain on a water runoff trail to an elevation of over 4,200 ft.
- Spending a day jumping and swimming in freezing water at Bushnell Falls followed by water bottle races and merit badge classes
- Learning how to paddle your canoe straight during the first nine miles on Long Lake
- Learning how to capsize your canoe and get back into it
- “Portaging” or carrying your 45 lbs. canoe on your head along with your full backpack for over a mile to the next river entry point
- Dealing with direct sun, high humidity, gnats, flies, mosquitos, and dragon flies during the 16-mile trek along Raquette River
- 5 Days of drinking only from a lake, river or waterfall, and eating rehydrated food in foil packs
- Zip lining into a pond performing many high wire acts and wipe outs
- Getting car sick and slaphappy trying to find a place to have dinner near Summit Base
- Sleeping in Hammocks
- The crew earned Canoeing merit badge and earned partials for Backpacking and Hiking